Founder of Prettyman Marine Services
Adam Prettyman, SAMS, SA
Sailor, Skipper, Marine Surveyor, and Owner of Prettyman Marine Services, Adam Prettyman exudes an energy that is comparable only to his professionalism and passion for the boating industry.
Adam has been involved with boats, professionally and as a boat owner for more than 25 years. He has personally evaluated and repaired vessels ranging in size from dinghies to 80’ yachts. Years of experience in this field, include repairing damaged fiberglass, replacing core, and maintaining vessels to high standards. All of this aids in his ability to identify and record survey findings, ensuring that the customer is well supported and can make comfortable decisions.
Growing up with great yachting opportunities and mentors helped Adam build a foundation to succeed in the yachting world. A diverse skill set was developed while exploring the different areas of the marine industry. Time spent on the tall ship, HMS Bounty, gave Adam experience in many areas. In addition to sailing a tall ship he also assisted in the installation of her new diesel-electric power in the engine room, as well as the top of her masts, 115’ from the deck.
From the age of 17, working in a mentor’s boat shop after school, a passion for yacht racing was born. This took him all over the country racing yachts and gaining more experience. Adam’s mechanical background includes an industrial millwright apprenticeship completed in 2005. This 8000 hr apprenticeship in machining, welding, metallurgy etc., provided an in-depth experience with boats from fiberglass to systems, rigging, and sails.
Adam uses his formal education along with his continuing education in the field of Marine Surveying to stay current with technologies and standards. With an eye on the future, Adam continues to remain on the leading edge of marine survey techniques. Adam has strong communication skills, is adamant about meeting deadlines, and creating accurate survey reports. His goal is to save you money, protect your investments, all while keeping you safe!
- Boat commissioning and race preparation
- Boat restoration – Paint, structural repair, cosmetic fiberglass repairs, Gelcoat repairs
- Consultations regarding sails, rigging, electronics and modifications
- Custom fabricating of tooling and framing, machining, welding
- Custom fiberglass and carbon fiber repair and construction
- Custom rigging and boat maintenance
- Marine repair on sail and power boats
- Marine survey and consulting
- On the water consultations and race setup/tuning
- Responsible for project support, completion of large industrial machine builds and maintenance
- Industrial machine building project management
- Troubleshoot and install and repair marine system.